Art Journal: Doodle Over Background


Hello Friend,

Perhaps one of my favorite things to do in my journal is doodle. You do not need to be a great artist to doodle. Personally, I think doodling is more relaxing than coloring any day. So I would like to show you my simple background and how to go about doodling.


The Supplies


Mixed media or watercolor paper
White crayon
Distress spray inks (I used Jim Holtz Distress Spray Stain)
Water spritzer and water
Fine point Sharpie
08 Micron Pen

The Background

1. Start by drawing a design on your paper with your white crayon. The ink/stain will resist these areas leaving a design. Just do the best you can. It will be hard to see exactly what you are doing. I drew some vines going into my flower in the center and drew a few more in different directions. No rules, just draw. You can even do squiggly lines, circles, or fun shapes. This step just adds an extra dimension.

2. I wipe the surface off to get any stay bits off crayon off. Protect your work area with paper towels or and old towel. I sprayed my watercolor paper with 3 differently colored stains. 

3. Next I sprayed the ink with my water mister. This activates and moves the stain. You will see how the stain "resists" the crayon design. You can do a few things here. 


*Use a paper towel and wipe the stain in one direction. This creates a smooth, soft surface of color.


*Dab up some stain leaving funky designs.


*Tilt your paper and let it run. It will run around the crayons and make neat designs.


*Let it dry as is.

I chose to wipe in one direction, spray some more and tilt and run. (See photo above)

Now just let it dry. It may take 30 minutes to one hour. You can use a heat tool or hair dryer to speed up the process.

Doodling

Now you get to doodle whatever your heart desires. I always go for flowers but you can do weird shapes and fill them in. (See below) For the most part, you are repeating lines and shapes. Repetition will help you become a better drawer. 


Start with a focal point. Maybe a circle or flower in the center. Or work up from a corner. Think of ways to fill in a shape. Lines and dots are simple add-ins. 

Here is a simple little tutorial on how to doodle a flower

In the picture above, I show you how to draw one of my favorite doodle flowers. Try using different sized pens and see how it changes the flower. Using different thicknesses adds depth and makes the drawing more interesting. 

Once your surface is mostly covered with designs, you may wish to add some more detail. I gave you a few samples above of little, filler designs. I use seeds and dots a lot to fill in a page.

I hope this gets you off to a good start. If you do a journal page you really love, just tag me in Instagram @fourthavepenandink. I'd love to see what you did!

Sincerely,









No comments