DIY Thrifty Journal

Fourth Ave. Pen & Ink - Here is an easy journal to make with paper and Mod Podge

Dear Friend,

I am having a serious pile-up of sticky notes around here so it was high-time to make a little journal to write tidbits in. If you know me at all, I try to do everything very frugally. This is not for an art journal as I don't think the paper inside would hold up to that. But the lined paper inside is great for lists, notes, or maybe even a little prayer journal. You may already have much of the supplies around your house.


Supplies

Journal - I got this at WalMart. I think they also had green and pink ribbons.
Mod Podge - I got this at the Dollar Store
Paper - I printed off my own paper. Use what you have around the house or use this set of free paper. I printed this on regular computer paper as the cover is fairly sturdy.
Sharpie marker - I already had this.
Acrylic paint is optional. I ended up not using it.

Let's Begin

1. Start by organizing your supplies and find a work area that can get messy. 

2. This journal measures 5 1/2 inches long. It is just under 4 1/2 inches across as I wrapped the paper just over the back binding. (See below)  Cut some strips of paper with these dimensions in mind. I ended up cutting some shorter to piece in.


3. Starting at the bottom: I painted the paper with a thin coat of Mod Podge. Make sure to get out to the edges to avoid problems later on. Start on the bottom. Place you paper (see above) just over the back binder and wrap across the front of the cover. A 4 1/2 inch piece should fit all the way across. Now, piece by piece, add more paper in different directions and layers. 

*Hint* Let each layer dry before the next to avoid bubbles and wrinkles. Don't ask me how I know this. 😏


You could just stop here and apply a final coat of Mod Podge and have a cool looking journal. 


4. Or you can jazz it up with paint and markers and whatever you fancy. I like to draw simple shapes and make marks. I used circles, dashes and seed shapes.

5. To finish, apply a final coat of Mod Podge. I applied it medium thick and made sure that the binder and edges where sealed really well. I trimmed any edges of paper that were sticking out.



6. (Optional) I used some washi tape to make tabs and I knotted some thread in a paper clip to make a book mark. I just used what I had around the house. 



So that's it! Using different types of paper can really change it up. Changing the marker colors and mark styles can make a difference too. I hope you are able to make this fun little journal! If you do, take a photo and tag me in Instagram @Fourthavepenandink.  I'd love to see what you made.

*Remember...let it dry a little in between coats. 😉

Sharing at: Sugar Bee Crafts

All the best,

Fourth Ave. Pen & Ink - Here is a fun little journal to make. You probably have most of the supplies and the rest is very inexpensive

No comments