Dollar Store Craft - Collage Art Clipboard


Hello Friend,

I have a simple, affordable craft for you today. I picked up a clipboard and Mod Podge at the Dollar Tree the other day. Actually I picked up more goodies and I hope to have more posts coming your way.


Dollar Tree has these great clipboards made by Jot. They have a slide-out hanger at the top and they provide so many opportunities for creativity. They sell the small bottles of Mod Podge there too. So for $2 I will have neat looking clipboard that I can use to hang my daughter's art work on. I used my own paper, here and here. You can use whatever you have around the house or use my free paper here.

Supplies

One clipboard
Mod Podge
A brush (foam or brush)
Assorted papers (I printed mine out on regular computer paper)
Scissors or cutting tool


The Goal

My goal was to layer ripped paper to make my design but have straight edges along the sides. Keep this in mind as you rip and cut. Choose 3 - 4 coordinating papers. In the end, you will have a funky looking clipboard to hand on the wall for decoration or to show off artwork, or to keep important papers. I don't recommend using it for writing since there will be uneven layers of paper.

How To


1. Start by working at a top corner. You will need two straight sides. Cut and rip a piece of paper to roughly fit the corner. Next, move the straight edge to the top. Gently, use your finger to press the paper to fit the clip area and the right edge of the board. (See the green arrows.)

2. Use scissors to cut along the clip shape and the edge. (See below)


See how the paper nicely conforms to the clip and the sides. I trimmed a tiny rounded corner also.

3. Layer a thin coat of Mod Podge on the back of the paper and place onto the board. I start at the top edge and slowly slide into place. Started at one end and smooth your paper down. You may want to use a credit card or some item to smooth out your paper.

4. Repeat on the other side.


5. Next, work on the lower corners. There are two straight sides and the corner so rip and cut to fit for each corner. Now the most difficult part is finished.

6. Rip your paper into different sizes. One at a time, apply Mod Podge to the back in a thin layer and smooth onto the board. 

*HINT - Let one layer dry before putting another layer on top. This will prevent bubbles. 

7. When all of your paper is on, let it dry for at least one hour. This is hard because I just want to be finished but you will get bubbles if you skip this step. I know this because I have been impatient many, many times. :)


Apply a medium thick layer to over the entire board including the edges. I sweep my brush in up and down motions. Allow to dry for at least one hour.

You may notice in some pictures that I missed some spots. I didn't catch this until I edited. I just applied a second coat of Mod Podge. Now I have a nice way to hang my daughter's pictures.


To finish and accent your piece, you may want to tie a bow at the top. I found extra thread and string around the house. I used three different colors and tied them at the top.


So you don't have to spend a fortune to craft. I hope you enjoy this! Have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,




Fourth Ave. Pen & Ink - You don't have to spend a fortune on Crafts

 

No comments