An Easy Art Journal Prompt + Free Art Journal Cards

Fourth Ave. Pen & Ink - I like to use a word from a dictionary page to spark my creation

Hello Friend,

I found a new way to start a journal page. Mind you, other people have probably been on to this a long time ago but this really sparked something in me. I finally located an old book to use for my journals - an old dictionary. Thanks to the Internet, I no longer use this monster and the pages are nice and thin.


Find a Word on Your Dictionary Page


As I was laying my paper out and deciding how to place the pieces, I looked at words on the page. I thought it would be fun to choose a word and use it in a sentence or write about it. I chose the word, "prefer."

I discovered that the words on the page gave me some direction because I am not an overly wordy person. I am not someone who can just write. Secondly, it gave my page a focal point. Even though the word is small, I used it as the focal point and my design flowed from there. 

So this may be old news for some, but I found it to be so helpful and I will be doing this a lot more in the future. 

My Supplies

1. My own paper. One of the papers comes from some free art journal cards that you can download at the bottom of the post.

2. Page from the dictionary

3. Watercolor paints

4. Acrylic paint

5. Mod Podge

6. Leftover watercolor paper scraps (make the round flower)

7. Brad - used to hole the flower together

8. Micron pen

Fourth Ave. Pen & Ink - Here are some free AJ cards for you


Your cards are 4.25" x 5.5". Feel free to download these guys and use them in your personal work.

I hope you have a wonderful day!
Sincerely,





No comments